Sunday, January 06, 2008

An Open Cutting Edge

The New York Times had an article about a product that I have been waiting for at least a decade to be invented. I cannot remember the last time I read about a new device that I immediately bought, but this is it. I cannot remember the last time I read about an invention that I advocated openly on this blog, but this is an exception. I immediately I paged immediately over to Amazon and ordered it. I heard about it from this article in the New York Times,

Novelties: What This Gadget Can Do Is Up to You,

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/business/06novel.html?th&emc=th

It is called the Neuros OSD, and it records digital signals, unadulterated by the proprietary garbage that companies build into their VCRs, TVs and DVD players. The article does not mention this, but this can -- or soon will be able -- to be used, along with a webcam, as a camcorder too. And best of all, it is open. When you buy it, it is yours, not the quasi-property of some corporation; you can open it up and hack it all you want. That also means that any other user can improve it, and you benefit. It is owned by the people, not the shirts. If only they invented an open automobile, the problem of emissions would have been hacked to zero emissions long ago. This is the cutting edge of a revolutionary change in industry. Mark my words... I will keep you, dear Badi’ Blog readers, posted on the progress of my ownership of this device.

No comments: