Friday, July 10, 2009

A Play for the Martyrdom

My 14 year old daughter Silvie spent the morning of the Holy Day
writing the following skit on the Martyrdom of the Bab, which we read
at our commemoration meeting. We brought stuffed animals for each
actor to hold out as their character. Silvie picked up on some themes
that Bill Sears offered in his retelling of the story in Release the
Sun. Some characters are historical, others, as far as I know, are
fictional. For example, there was no "hedonism cat" in Tabriz that day
-- this was inspired by the "hedonism bot" in Futurama. I affix at the
beginning the prologue that Bill Sears had in his pamphet, which sets
the scene quite nicely, and asks some of the questions Silvie deals
with in her skit.


"The blistering July sun glared from the barrels of seven hundred and
fifty rifles, awaiting the command to fire and to take His life. He
seemed so young to die, barely thirty, and He was handsome, gentle,
confident. Could He possibly be guilty of the shocking crime of which
He was accused? Thousands of eager spectators lined the Public Square.
They crowded along the rooftops overlooking the scene of death. They
wanted one last sight of Him for He was either good or evil, and they
were not sure which. It was high noon, July 9, 1850, in a parched
corner of Persia, the barracks square of the sun-drenched city of
Tabriz. The chain of events leading to this scene began in 1844."
-William Sears


Martyrdom of the Bab : The Screenplay


(Scene 1, in the castle)


Narrator: There were many rumors spread about the Babis. The Prime
Minister convinced many people that the Bab had committed felonies.

Prime Minister: I should be the only important leader in this country!
The Bab must be killed! And now, dear Governor, I shall unfold my evil
plan! Mwahahaha!

Narrator: So the Prime Minister unfolded his evil plan. He would
capture the Bab, tie him up, and kill him. If the Bab indeed was this
miracle man, then the king promised to release him. His fiancée, Tyra
Nee, thought it was brilliant. So they captured the Bab, but he gave
no evidence that he was evil.

Tyra Nee: Are you sure this is the right man?

Prime Minister: (severely) Yes! Governor, throw him into the dungeon!

Governor: But sir, he has done nothing wrong! I like this man. He
could not have-

Prime Minister: I said do it!

Governor: (gulp) Yes, sir!

………………………………………………………………………………………….

(Later, scene 2, in the garden)

Tyra Nee: Are you sure this plan will work? I mean, what if it
backfires? What if he becomes a hero due to this martyrdom?

Prime Minister: I don't care! I want him to die! You see, my dear,
there is only room for one king in this country.

Governor: I am not pleased with your behavior. I insist that you
reconsider this!

Prime Minister: I already have. The Bab shall die!

Tyra Nee: (trying to decide which side to take) Hmmmm…

………………………………………………………………………………………………

(Scene 3, outside, in the streets)

Prime Minister: (thinking out loud) To allow the Bab to have more
glory is unthinkable! But then again, what if Tyra Nee is right? What
if this does make him a hero? But I can't risk my throne for a mere
"second thought"! He will be killed! (uncertain) …uh, I hope!

Governor: Your honor, as much as I respect you, I respect the Bab even
more. I refuse to meet the executioner!

Prime Minister: Have it your way. (calling out) Guards!

Guards: Yes?

Prime Minister: Bring me the Bab!

Narrator: So the Bab went to the king, wearing a green turban to show
his most honorable heritage. But he was forced to take it off for the
"ceremonies." Tyra Nee asked the Prime Minister what to do with it. He
told her that she could keep it if she wanted. Which she did, for now.

Prime Minister: Guards, people, and servants! I have an announcement!
(people all look at him) Good. This man will be executed tomorrow! You
are all invited to watch! (people all chatter as if wondering why they
would want to watch someone get killed) …uh, free water will be served
for all that attend! (people are more enthusiastic about it, saying
"Oh", and "Okay!") Perfect, lets go! (he starts to leave, but a voice
is heard, making him stop)

Kid: Wait! (he throws himself at the Bab's feet.) Please, take me with
you! I want to die for the faith too!

Tyra Nee: That kid is very brave, but he is only a child! He can't!

Kid: Actually, I just turned eighteen.

Tyra Nee: Oh, okay then. You are allowed to do it. But do you really want to?

Kid: Yes, I accept my fate as a martyr. It is a great honor.

Prime Minister: Very well. Guards, take both of them away!

(Guards leads Kid away, Prime Minister and Tyra following them)

……………………………………………………………………………………………

(Later, scene 4, in the streets)

Narrator: So before they left for the streets, the guards
double-checked the iron clamps around the prisoners' ankles and led
them into the streets. The people didn't think the Bab was the
promised one if he could be imprisoned like this. They thought he was
powerless. But they really wanted him to prove them wrong. They wanted
to be entertained by miracles. "Show us what you can really do," one
of them shouted from behind the ropes that held them back. "Yeah!"
said another as he sipped at his cup of free water. But the Bab was
determined. The only reason he had for performing a miracle, was
because he hadn't finished his conversation with the new Head of The
Babi Faith.

Priest 1: I refuse to meet him! His skin is two shades darker than mine!

Priest 2: Me too! He is much too handsome! He'll make me look ugly!

Prime Minister: Fine, but you're going to stand behind the spectators
so you don't have a solid view.

Priests: Aww, man!

……………………………………………………………………………………………….

(Scene 5, at the stake where they would be tied and shot)

Attendant: (set up the ropes and stuff) There! I'd like to see them
get away from that!

Guard: They are ready, sir

Attendant: Good, tie them to the stake. My regiment is also ready.

(Guard ties them to stake)

Narrator: Although the people liked the king and all, they were
willing to change sides for a miracle. The people crowded around them.
The Christian regiment had a total of 750 rifles. This was it. They
were going to shoot.

Hedonism cat: (worried) Meow!

Tyra Nee: (holding Hedonism cat) Shh!

Narrator: The rifles all shot at the same time. There was a cloud of
dust in the air that appeared just as they had shot their rifles. The
cloud temporarily blinded everyone, and when it finally cleared, the
Kid was alive and the Bab was nowhere to be found! It was like he had
just vanished! The people were astounded! Some of them even spilled
their water! They had just witnessed a miracle. (This is my favorite
part of the story) Everyone looked at the stake and saw that the
bullets had cut the ropes, allowing the kid to escape unharmed.

When the Bab returned, he told everyone that he had finished his
conversation and now he was ready to die. But by then, the attendant
was very disturbed.
Attendant: This man has clearly performed a miracle. I refuse to
complete the execution! Never again! Even if it costs me my life!

Narrator: So he resigned, and his whole regiment left with him.

Attendant 2: Feh! What do you expect from a mere Christian?! Let a Muslim try!

Tyra Nee: (to Prime Minister) Your honor, I think I remember you
saying that if this man is the real deal, you'll let him go!

Prime Minister: I lied! Whacha gonna do?

Tyra Nee: This! (throws engagement ring at him) I'm changing sides!

Prime Minister: Wha…?! But…!

Attendant 2: Are you ready sir? On your command!

Prime Minister: Right! Fire!

Narrator: This time the squadron succeeded in killing the Bab and the
Kid. But their spirits lived on. It was a true sacrifice. Tyra Nee
gave the Bab's green turban to the kid's family, so they could
remember.

Prime Minister: So, basically, I won. Right? (no answer) Hello? Hello?
… (still no answer) Darn it! (exits)

No comments: